8/23/2013

Pineapple (Maybe Pina Colada) Wine Update

I started with a recipe from YouTube but wanted to be a bit more mindful of the outcome than those nice ladies seemed to be... and wanted to maximize the fruit flavor as well.

2 pineapples
1 gallon water
7 cups sugar
1 pkg Lalvin RC 212 yeast

Peeled and cut up the pineapples (ate some, LOL), put in a pot with water and sugar. Brought to a boil. I didn't weigh the fruit, however, 'cuz I didn't think of that until later and don't have scales anyways. Transferred to primary bucket ‘cuz the kettle was too full for fermenting, and let cool. Added activated yeast, stirred, and covered. Recipe says to use an airtight container, stir every two days for 21 days, strain and enjoy. I didn't do 21 days, instead using the hydrometer I was able to record the following:

8/12/13 – 1.116 SG
8/14/13 – 1.061 SG
8/15/13 – 1.045 SG
8/17/13 – 1.022 SG
8/22/13 – 1.000 SG
8/23/13 – 0.996 SG

Tonight I strained the must into a big pot then moved to secondary (well, 2 secondaries, actually) using a colander and a sanitized flour sack dishtowel (my strainer towel, never sees "soap"), moderately squeezing out the fruit, for a total of 5 liters of liquid under airlock. Using the on line calculator, this comes out to 15.987 ABV. Too high for my palate, but I'm thinking this will allow for additions later on, for sweetening if needed and possible experimentation with coconut flavoring, for that pina colada taste I want.

1 comment:

  1. happy wheels
    Oh your site is amazing, keep share with us. very nice interior, i love all. thanks for share :)
    super mario bros
    pacman
    agario

    ReplyDelete